Berlin SÜDWEST has been an important center of science and learning ("The German Oxford") for more than 100 years and still ranks as one of the top five locations of its kind in Germany. Increasingly, academic institutions are giving rise to entrepreneurial activity in the form of start-ups; and the larger the academic institution, the greater the number of start-ups.
The development plan for Berlin SÜDWEST focuses primarily on providing these startups with a home close to where they were originally established, in other words, close to the institutions that created them. A new technology and business incubator (FUBIC) will help make this a reality for some 80 companies, while also providing an adjoining small technology park in close proximity to the campus of the University of Berlin.
In southwestern Berlin with easy access to the airport, train stations, motorway and downtown. Highly urban:
- Recreation (forests, lakes, parks)
- Shopping on one of the largest shopping streets in Germany (Schloßstr.)
- A wide variety of jobs in industry, services, academics and trades
- Large nearby commercial areas (Goerzallee, Haynauer Straße, Hegauer Weg)
- Healthcare industries; ICT
- Freie Universität Berlin
- Campus Benjamin Franklin (Charité)
- Fritz-Haber-Institut der Max-Planck-Gesellschaft
- Max-Planck-Institut für Bildungsforschung
- Max-Planck-Institut für molekulare Genetik
- Max-Planck-Institut für Wissenschaftsgeschichte
- Konrad-Zuse-Zentrum für Informationstechnik (ZIB)
- Bundesanstalt für Materialforschung und -prüfung (BAM)
- Julius-Kühn-Institut Bundesforschungsinstitut für Kulturpflanzen
- Helmholtz-Zentrum Berlin für Materialien und Energie
- Berlin Heart GmbH
- Knauer Wissenschaftlicher Gerätebau
- Knick Elektronischer Gerätebau
- GSP Sprachtechnologie GmbH
- IMD Institut für Medizinische Diagnostik GmbH
- BEGA.tec GmbH
- Auto Tissue Berlin GmbH
A concentration of science-based start-ups at FUBIC (Business and Innovation Center next to the Free University of Berlin) in Fabeckstr., with approximately 11,000 sqm of useable space. Immediately adjacent to the Gründerhaus at the Free University of Berlin with its center for "Profound Innovation," which provides information services to those seeking to establish their own startups.
In addition to the Business and Innovation Center, the FUBIC campus also serves as home to suitable technology companies (in healthcare, ICT, medical technology, biotechnology).
- Goerzallee e. V.
- Marketingverein Berlin Südwest e.V.
- Wirtschaftsstammtisch Berlin-Südwest
(Source: Regionalmanagement Berlin SÜDWEST, 2016)