In the pandemic year 2020, the total economic volume of the congress and meetings industry was estimated at 20-25 % of the previous year, and the average number of participants dropped to about one tenth of the previous year's level. In the first two months, it was still possible to build on the successes of previous years.
(Source: visitBerlin, 2021)
The most important international congress ranking of the International Congress & Convention Association (ICCA) was not published for 2020. The German capital took 3rd place in 2019. This put Berlin behind Paris and Lisbon but ahead of Barcelona and Madrid. In a national comparison, Berlin has been in first place for 10 years.
The city’s excellent location conditions are important factors for Berlin’s growing appeal as an event center and for the expansion of the international market:
- Modern assortment of hotels with more than 143,000 beds
- A large selection of exceptional locations for events
- Berlin Convention Office visitBerlin - Berlin Tourismus & Kongress GmbH offers a comprehensive range of services for trade fairs and conventions in Berlin
- Professional services available from the Messe Berlin GmbH group - one of the ten highest grossing trade show companies in the world - with it's own site Berlin ExpoCenter City at the Berliner Funkturm (27 halls, multi-functional trade show and conference center CityCube Berlin, hub27 Berlin, +palais.Berlin)
- Home to leading international trade fairs in industries of the future (such as the IFA trade fair for consumer electronics: Consumer Electronics Unlimited, World Health Summit) and major events with high media and public relations impact (the ITB Berlin Travel Trade Show (Internationale Tourismusbörse), Air show berlin-International Aerospace Exhibition and Conferences)
- Berlin is the seat of the German Trade Fair Industry Association (Ausstellungs- und Messe-Ausschuss der Deutschen Wirtschaft - AUMA)
The conference and congress sector is a decisive economic factor for Berlin: With a total turnover of more than EUR 2.6 billion (+2.3% year-on-year), it secured approximately 44,100 jobs in 2018. It generated over eight million overnight stays in hotels, that is a quarter of all overnight stays at hotels in Berlin.
Leading trade fairs hosted by Berlin
IFA Consumer Electronics Unlimited Trade Fair (Internationale Funkausstellung)
As a global trade show for consumer electronics and home appliances, the IFA presents the latest products and innovations, and every year it fascinates trade visitors from more than 100 countries.
ITB Berlin Travel Trade Show (Internationale Tourismusbörse)
The ITB is the leading specialist trade show for the international tourism trade and each year it features countries, target areas, operators, booking systems, transport carriers and hotels.
International Green Week (Internationale Grüne Woche)
Unique in its focus, the International Green Week an international exhibition for agriculture and the food industry, as well as for gardening.
Bautec International Trade Fair for Building and Construction Technology
(Internationale Fachmesse für Bauen und Gebäudetechnik)
bautec is the international trade fair for construction and building technology, and leading exhibitors from the construction materials and construction systems sectors take part.
ILA Berlin - Innovation and Leadership in Aerospace
The Berlin Air Show is one of the most important trade fairs for the aerospace industry in Germany and is among the largest and most important aerospace trade fairs in the world.
Fruit Logistica Berlin
FRUIT LOSISTICA is the leading industry meeting for the international fruit trade.
Selected convention venues
Berlin ExpoCenter City - CityCube Berlin
- Operator: Messe Berlin GmbH
- Multifunctional convention and trade show center at the traditional location under the Berliner Funkturm
- 190,000 m² of hall space spread over 27 exhibition and event halls as well as the multifunctional CityCube Berlin, the column-free large hall hub27 Berlin, and the historic building ensemble +palais.Berlin
- Modern trade show and conference center CityCube Berlin has two tiers with 6,015 m² of space each: the lower tier has space for up to 8 conference rooms for 400 – 3000 PAX and/or trade show space, the column-free hall of the upper tier can be used for large assembly halls, trade shows, concerts or caterings
- Direct connection to the S-Bahn public transportation system; the CityCube Berlin is situated at the station “Messe Süd”
Berlin ExpoCenter Airport
- Operator: Messe Berlin GmbH
- Multifunctional event center in the west of the future major airport Berlin Brandenburg (BER)
- Hall capacity of 21,000 m², 50,000 m² of temporary hall space as well as 130,000 m² of free-standing space
Estrel Congress Center Berlin
- Privately operated Congress & Fair Center providing two convention halls
- More than 25,000 square meters for events for up to 12,000 visitors now
Convention centers and arenas
Estrel Hotel & Convention Center
Maritim Hotel Berlin
Hotel Inter Continental Berlin
Maritim Pro Arte Hotel
Grand Hyatt Berlin
The Ritz Carlton Berlin
Berlin Marriott Hotel
Crowne Plaza Berlin City Center
Hotel Palace Berlin
Hotel Pullman Berlin Schweizerhof
Additional event venues