Berlin Schöneweide – Urban hub of science, business; and technology in the south-east of Berlin
Berlin Schöneweide, the birthplace of AEG at the heart of the airport region, is the third-largest Zukunftsort (growth area) in the German capital after Adlershof and the Urban Tech Republic TXL. Schöneweide is situated halfway between the future Berlin Brandenburg (BER) Airport and the city center. Up to 10,000 new jobs in the high-tech and creative economies are expected to be created by 2035.
- Traffic technology & mobility
- Energy & Environmental technology
- Media & creative industries
- Photonics & Optics
- IT & Automation
- Microsystems & Materials
Berlin Schöneweide is home to more than 300 companies with over 3,000 employees. Seven of these companies have a workforce of more than 100 employees and are involved in the areas of energy, sensor technology, ICT, education, and the creative economy.
Hardware startups that require space and proximity to the university are also located in Berlin Schöneweide. Berlin Schöneweide will become a reference location for urban production and the artisan creative industry (e.g. fashion and industrial design) as well as a future-oriented location for new manufacturing technologies (digitization, the Industry 4.0 project), by exploiting the competencies found at HTW Berlin.
The borough and senate actively support these current inward investment and development trends:
- There are plans to establish the Innovation and Technology Center for Digitalization in Business and Industry 4.0 (ITZ 4.0) in the direct vicinity of HTW Berlin by 2021.
- The plans also include the development of a Center for the Textile Economy to increase the number of spin-offs from the HTW in this growing business segment.
- The Technology and Startup Center Spreeknie will be expanded and preserved as an incubator with a broad-based remit.
- The state and borough-owned commercial properties in Schöneweide will be used to continue sharpening the area’s profile.
- The new Wilhelminenhof bridge will improve Schöneweide’s accessibility.
It takes space to translate knowledge into new jobs. A total of 300,000 sqm of listed property with a rich industrial heritage is available, and new commercial properties with up to 250,000 sqm could potentially be built as well.
The Berlin University of Applied Sciences is located at the center of the future-oriented Berlin Schöneweide. Over 200 professors teach and conduct research at Berlin’s largest institute of higher learning for applied research, while more than 9,000 young people from 104 nations complete academic programs in the five faculties of engineering (I+II), business, computer science and design. The Rainer Lemoine Institute engages in application-oriented, systematic research into renewable energies and implementation strategies.
The blend of applied research, urban production, high technology, and the creative economy has transformed the area with its unique backdrop on the banks of the river Spree into a coveted location. Numerous private and state services for startups and grownups have already settled here to promote effective links between the companies and the university:
- The Innovation Workshop Schöneweide provides tailored infrastructure for small and mid-sized companies in Berlin to collaborate on projects with students and professors at HTW Berlin.
- The Technology and Startup Center Spreeknie (TGS) has over 24,000 sqm of office, laboratory, and workshop space for startups.
- The Startup Competence Center established within the HTW Berlin is tasked with promoting universities spin-offs
- Coworking spaces like the student-organized BETT – Space for Design Comparatives, the Oberschöneweide Creative Consortium KAOS and the blossoming gastronomy sector are helping to foster a vibrant creative scene in the neighborhood.
- There are plans to transfer additional exchange and inward investment formats to the location, for instance the Accelerator Programs that have been in place in Adlershof since 2016.
- South-east of Berlin’s city center, S-Bahn station Schöneweide, 17 minutes from Schönefeld/BER Airport, <5 km from the federal highway 113
- Carsharing zone
- Public charging infrastructure for eMobility
- Directly adjacent to the river Spree
Regional Management Berlin Südost is a project run by the Treptow-Köpenick Borough Office in Berlin in collaboration with the Senate Department for Economics, Energy and Public Enterprises. It is part of the community economic development ‘Improving the Regional Business Structure’ (GRW), which is jointly and equally funded by the federal and state governments, and by private-sector financiers. WISTA-MANAGEMENT GMBH Berlin Adlershof is entrusted with project implementation.
- brokers commercial space for companies
- offers exchange platforms between science and business
- advises investors on location issues
- develops infrastructures to promote economic development
- builds networks between new companies at the location, and
- advocates the preservation of studio space
Visit the following link for further information: www.schoeneweide.com