More than 4,000 film and TV companies, which together generate 1.9 billion euros in revenue per year, are based in the capital region. Thanks to the good production infrastructure, the funding conditions, and the creative atmosphere, the capital region is a strong attraction for producers, film distributors, streaming portals, and VFX companies from all over the world who produce films, series or shows here or settle in Berlin.
- Over 300 film productions a year
- TV and feature film location with above-average growth rates
- Optimal production conditions and low costs
- High density of production companies such as UFA, service providers such as ARRI, and media groups such as Axel Springer and Vice Media
- Video-on-demand platforms like Netflix and Pantaflix, as well as multi-channel networks like Studio 71 or the YouTube Space
- Numerous renowned service providers in the areas of (post) production, visual effects (like Rise FX), decoration, costume, billing, or casting
- Studios such as Berliner Union Film, Studio Berlin Adlershof, and fernsehwerft
- Headquarters of rbb, Viacom, Welt, and Deutsche Welle TV
„With its vibrant and up-and-coming creative scene and many young media and tech companies, Berlin offers us a great international talent pool and an excellent base for our entertainment brands in the German-speaking markets.“
Photo: © Bernd Jaworek
The capital region is one of the most attractive training locations for creative young talent. There is a variety of education and training opportunities from universities, public and private colleges, media academies, and other educational institutions. The Filmuniversität Babelsberg KONRAD WOLF, the DFFB Academy, the Erich Pommer Institute, the Entertainment Master Class, and many other institutions offer degree programs and training courses for production, drama, screenwriting, and media management.
Universities and universities of applied science
- Freie Universität Berlin
- Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin
- Technische Universität Berlin
- Steinbeis University Berlin
- Ernst Busch Academy of Dramatic Art
- Mediadesign University
- Beuth University of Applied Sciences Berlin
- HTW Berlin - University of Applied Sciences
- Filmhaus Babelsberg
Training and education for film, television, animation and VFX
- German Film and Television Academy (dffb)
- Master School Screenplay
- Erich Pommer Institut (epi)
- Institute for Careers in Theater, Film and Television
- Film University Babelsberg KONRAD WOLF
- Media Design Academy
- BTK - Art & Design, University of Applied Sciences
- Die Medienakademie
- Entertainment Master Class
- Berlin School of Creative Leadership
Funding and financing
A dense range of consulting, financing, and funding offers the right environment for settlements, startups, and innovative projects:
The Berlin Senate Department for Economics, Energy and Public Enterprises and the Brandenburg Ministry for Economic Affairs and Energy assist the industry with subsidies or loans for capital investment, salaries and technology-oriented R&D projects, as well
as with infrastructure projects, competitions and trade show presentations.
Funding by the Investitionsbank Berlin
The VC Fonds Kreativwirtschaft Berlin has been conceived as a venture capital fund by the Investitionsbank Berlin (IBB) and the state of Berlin. The fund strengthens the equity base of small and medium-sized high-growth companies of Berlin’s creative industries by providing venture capital.
VC Fonds Kreativwirtschaft Berlin
Medienboard Berlin-Brandenburg GmbH
Medienboard funds all genres of high-quality, entertaining, and marketable games.
EU-Förderung: Creative Europe
The EU program Creative Europe Media promotes the development of innovative games and games concepts.