Several best practice examples are already in use in the city, such as the "offshore" mixed water storage unit in the Spree River, the retention ground filter for rainwater treatment or the many gray water recycling and rainwater harvesting systems in homes and offices.
„Berlin’s connection with water is unique: A water cycle that is unparalleled in Germany makes it possible to supply more than 90% of the city’s drinking water needs from sources within the metropolitan area. Berliner Wasserbetriebe supplies the city with water and disposes of wastewater. Work with other stakeholders has led to a variety of innovations to the water system in Berlin.“
Facts and figures
- Berlin has a sewage network with 154 pumping stations, about 9,600 km of sewers and approximately 1,170 km of penstocks.
- The capital supplies itself with drinking water from regional resources and feeds its wastewater after appropriate treatment into the local water supply.
- Berliner Wasserbetriebe (BWB) is the largest water supply company in Germany.
- WASSER BERLIN INTERNATIONAL is the largest national trade fair for water technologies.
- Wide range of technology offered by a large number of innovative medium-sized companies
- Multidisciplinary and internationally-oriented research landscape
- Comprehensive networking and excellent cooperation opportunities
Berlin's universities and research institutes are important partners for companies in the water industry. More than 20 departments from 6 faculties are working on TU Berlin's research focus "Water in Urban Areas", pooling their different skills for a future-oriented, urban water management.
The Leibniz-Institute of Freshwater Ecology and Inland Fisheries is the largest German center for ecosystem research on inland waters.
The Berlin Centre of Competence for Water (KWB) is an international center for water research and knowledge transfer and links the research activities of the Berlin universities and research institutions, the Berlinwasser Group, Berlin SMEs, the administration, and the environmental services company Veolia.