„Berlin is known for its lively start-up scene. The city offers an ideal environment for young e-commerce companies as well as successful high-tech start-ups like DexLeChem. The proximity to top scientific expertise in chemistry, an outstanding infrastructure and opportunities to interact directly with other company founders as well as with creative minds in politics and at well-established companies are what make Berlin such an ideal location.“
The capital region offers excellent conditions for chemicals companies:
- High level of acceptance for the chemicals industry among the regional population;
- Good conditions with respect to zoning law;
- Good commercial real estate at favorable prices;
- Well educated and highly motivated workforce;
- Highly engaged municipal decision makers;
- Highest investment subsidies in the EU.
Chemicals - a growth industry with highly innovative new developments in the following areas:
- Modern composite materials,
- Plastics recycling,
- New polymer and ceramic materials.
The following companies are some of the key representatives of the chemical industry in Berlin:
- Beiersdorf Manufacturing Berlin GmbH
- GuK Technische Gummi und Kunststoffe GmbH
- ASCA GmbH Angewandte Synthesechemie Adlershof
- Lankwitzer Lackfabrik GmbH
- Gleitsmann Security Inks GmbH
Index of Material Expertise
As part of the Joint innovation strategy of the States of Berlin and Brandenburg (innoBB), an index of companies and institutes in the field of materials in Berlin and Brandenburg has been developed. It makes it possible to search for suppliers or business partners with expertise in producing or processing materials.
Berlin provides a high concentration of research and development activity. The sector is characterized by close relations to institutions of higher education and research locations.
- Federal Institute for Materials Research and Testing
(Bundesanstalt für Materialforschung und Prüfung - BAM)
Department of "Analytical Chemistry; Reference Materials"
- Fraunhofer Institute for Applied Polymer Research
(Fraunhofer-Institut für Angewandte Polymerforschung - IAP)
- Office for Polymer Materials and Composites at the Fraunhofer Institute for Assembly and Packaging Technologies for Microelectronics, Microsystems and Power Electronics
(Fraunhofer Institut für Zuverläsigkeit und Mikrointegration - IZM)
- Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin, Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences, Department of Chemistry
- Freie Universität Berlin, Department of Biology, Chemistry, Pharmarcy, Institute of Chemistry and Biochemistry
- North East Chemical Education Center
(Bildungswerk Nordostchemie e.V.)
(Education, training, professional development)
- Chemistry Information Center
(Fachinformationszentrum Chemie - FIZ Berlin)
- Fritz Haber Institute of the Max Planck Society
- Max Planck Institute of Colloids and Interfaces
(Max-Planck-Institut für Kolloid- und Grenzflächenforschung)
- Helmholtz-Zentrum Geesthacht, Centre for Materials and Coastal Research, Institute of Biomaterial Science (Teltow)
- FIZ Chemie Berlin
- Unifying Concepts in Catalysis (unicat)
Networks, initiatives and associations
Northeast Chemical Industry Consulting and Training Center
(Beratungs- und Qualifizierungsgesellschaft Nordostchemie mbH -BuQ)
BuQ has worked for companies and institutions since 1999. It offers professional development courses, retraining and qualification of employees and executives alike, primarily for the chemical and pharmaceutical industries.
European Bioplastics e.V.
The association "European Bioplastics" was founded in 2006 to represent the interests of European industrial manufacturers, processors and users of bioplastics, biodegradable materials and products made from them.
Plastics and Chemistry Cluster of the State of Brandenburg
(Cluster Kunststoffe und Chemie des Landes Brandenburg)
The cluster networks companies and research institutes in the plastics and rubber-processing industry as well as the chemical industry in the State of Brandenburg.
Northeast Germany Chapter of the Chemical Industry Association
(Verband der Chemischen Industrie e. V. Landesverband Nordost)
The association represents the economic and socio-political interests of the chemical industry vis-à-vis government agencies, organizations, labor unions and opinion-makers. It provides consultation on all matters that affect the chemical industry in Eastern German.