About the Capital Region
„The extremely high density of turbomachinery manufacturers and suppliers in the Berlin-Brandenburg region of expertise offers an outstanding basis for the collaborative development and implementation of trendsetting technology.“
- One of the world's leading industrial regions for manufacturing and servicing turbomachinery
- Outstanding opportunities and sales potential for innovative and specialized suppliers
- Production of the currently largest and most powerful gas turbine in the world
- Production of the world's largest geared compressor
- Excellence in balancing and adjusting extremely fast rotating shafts and wheels
- Innovative solutions and applications in the manufacture, maintenance, overhaul, and modernization of prototype and component test turbomachinery (e.g. gas turbine burner testing center/Clean Energy Center from Siemens and Rolls-Royce's Mechanical Test Operations Center)
- High competence in the environmentally friendly optimization of power plant technology
- Development and production of micro gas turbines
In the area of turbomachinery, companies in the region form a complete value added chain from research and development, via production, through to design, planning, installation, as well as MRO (maintenance, repair, and overhaul):
- MAN Diesel & Turbo SE
- MTU Maintenance Berlin-Brandenburg GmbH
- Rolls-Royce Deutschland Ltd & Co. KG
- Siemens AG – gas turbine plant
In the field of power plant technology, industrial technology users are pioneering the use of flexible power plants operated with conventional fuels and also with mixed gases with high hydrogen content:
- GE Energy Power Conversion
- Schneider Electric
- In the Energy Laboratory of the HFI - TU Berlin innovative combustion technologies for tomorrow's gas turbines are tested and developed.
- As part of an SFB project, the use of Otto cycle combustion in gas turbines is being investigated.
- The BTU Cottbus-Senftenberg unites numerous departments that deal with power plant technology.
- In the Fraunhofer Innovation Cluster "Life Cycle Engineering for Turbomachinery", numerous research institutions and industry partners have joined forces to explore materials and technologies for turbomachinery in the aviation and energy industries.