Numerous innovations are from the region: Europe's first commercial battery power plant went online here and, in addition to the world's first hybrid power plant, which generates not only electricity and heat but also wind gas, a power-to-gas pilot plant is operated here.
On the EUREF-Campus in Berlin, a nearly CO2-neutral energy supply will be realized with the help of a local micro smart grid with central load management by NBB Netzgesellschaft Berlin-Brandenburg.
About the Capital Region
„The specific combination of Brandenburg, a region with a high level of wind energy conversion, and Berlin, which has a high population density, offers outstanding potential for integrating renewable energy. Smart grid technology can be used to control storage systems and flexible loads, and managing cross-medial grids for electricity and heat.“
Berlin-Brandenburg is the ideal location for development and testing
- Leading in the development and management of energy networks with a high proportion of renewable energies
- Development and integration of energy storage technologies for grid stabilization
- Expertise for system security in complex energy networks
- Management of multi-sectoral infrastructures (electricity, heat, water) and optimization in terms of efficiency and safety
Close cooperation of science and industry
- With the GridLab, the region has a unique research and training infrastructure.
- Together with Siemens, Vattenfall, and German E-Cars, the BTU Cottbus-Senftenberg is testing the use of vehicle batteries as storage in the power grid in the "SMART Capital Region" project.
- In cooperation with the companies ENERTRAG and TOTAL Deutschland, the BTU also operates a hydrogen and storage research center with a pilot plant, where hydrogen is produced using pressure electrolysis of up to 60 bar and optimal adaptation to the power supply from wind turbines.
- The Innovation Center Energy of TU Berlin networks expert knowledge in the field of energy and promotes the exchange between industrial and external research partners.
- HTW Berlin has a special focus on the intelligent linking of photovoltaic systems with battery and heat storage.