Facts and figures
- With more than 400 companies and well over 8,500 employees , recycling management is a major economic factor in the capital.
- The spectrum ranges from classic disposal companies to technology developers to startups, who turn recycled materials into innovative products for an environmentally conscious audience.
- With the CleanTech Business Park Marzahn Hellersdorf, a new location with ideal conditions for the industry is emerging.
- Large waste disposal companies such as the Berliner Stadtreinigungsbetriebe BSR and ALBA and many specialized recyclers ensure a high rate of recycling.
- Berliner Wasserbetriebe has developed a plant for the recovery of phosphorus from sewage sludge and has thus been awarded the Greentec Award 2015.
„For us, a sustainable circular economy starts with the development of products that are designed to have a long service life, be highly reliable, reparable and recyclable. We therefore bring together some of the most innovative companies in the electronics industry and develop new concepts for mobile information and communication technology with them.“
- At the Faculty of Process Sciences of TU Berlin, scientists conduct interdisciplinary research under the motto “Resource efficiency for processes and products.”
- At the Fraunhofer Institute for Reliability and Microintegration in the project cycLED methods for the recovery of critical raw materials such as indium, gallium, or rare earth metals from LEDs are developed, among others.
- The European joint project CloseWEEE focuses on the dismantling process of old electrical appliances and develops methods for recycling plastics, additives, and metals, among others.
- At the Fraunhofer Institute for Production Systems and Design Technology novel biopolymers as well as process technologies are developed for their processing, among others.