The Fraunhofer Society is the largest organization for applied research in Europe. Its research fields include health, safety, communication, mobility, energy, and the environment.
More than 30,000 employees work in 74 research institutions in Germany. The Fraunhofer Institutes generate over 80% of their research volume through contract research, with partners including industrial companies, service providers, and the public sector. International cooperation is guaranteed through worldwide offices. (Source: Website fraunhofer.de, 2022)
Four of the Fraunhofer institutes have their headquarters or a branch office in Berlin. This makes Berlin one of the largest Fraunhofer locations in Germany. The "Digital Networking" performance center is a cooperation of four Berlin Fraunhofer institutes FOKUS, HHI, IPK and IZM. The work focuses on technologies and solutions that take into account the increasing digitalisation and networking of all areas of life. The capital office of the Fraunhofer Gesellschaft as well as two Fraunhofer groups and the Fraunhofer Forum Berlin are also located in Berlin.
Fraunhofer-Institute for Production Systems and Design
(Fraunhofer-Institut für Produktionsanlagen und Konstruktionstechnik Berlin - IPK)
Part of the Production Technology Center Berlin (Produktionstechnisches Zentrum Berlin)
- Research partner for digitally integrated production (Industry 4.0, Additive Manufacturing, Smart Maintenance, Artificial Intelligence)
- Application-oriented system solutions for industrial tasks
- Business areas of the institute:
Corporate and production management, digital engineering, production systems, joining and coating technology, automation technology and quality management.
- Business partners:
Close cooperation with the Institut für Werkzeugmaschinen und Fabrikbetrieb (IWF) of the TU Berlin and the Federal Institute for Materials Research and Testing (BAM)
Fraunhofer Institute for Assembly and Packaging Technologies for Microelectronics and Power Electronics
(Fraunhofer Institut für Zuverlässigkeit und Mikrointegration - IZM)
- Technological solutions for future challenges in sectors such as automotive and industrial electronics, medical technology, ICT and semiconductors
- Services, especially for small and medium-sized enterprises
- Over 430 employees
- Close cooperation with the Technische Universität Berlin
Fraunhofer Institute for Telecommunications
(Fraunhofer-Institut für Nachrichtentechnik)
- Fraunhofer HHI is one of the world's leading research institutes for mobile and stationary communication networks and for the key technologies of the future.
- Fraunhofer HHI has consistently aligned its areas of expertise with current and future market and development requirements:
- Photonic networks and systems
- Photonic components
- Fibre optic sensor systems
- Wireless communication and networks
- Video communication and applications
- Vision and imaging technologies
- Artificial intelligence
- The Fraunhofer Heinrich Hertz Institute HHI stands for applied research in the broad spectrum of communication technologies:
5G, AI, medical technology, sensor technology, security, quantum technologies.
- Development of new applications for industrial partners
Institut für Offene Kommunikationssysteme (FOKUS)
- Goal: To make the connected world safer, more reliable, and more trustworthy.
- Development, testing, and introduction of open-system solutions for digital networking.
- The researchers have technology and industry expertise in the areas of digital networking, digital life, digital state and security/certification.
- Research in these application fields is driven by expertise in artificial intelligence, quantum computing and sustainability.
- Fraunhofer FOKUS is involved in research and teaching in Berlin and Brandenburg with a total of eight chairs at the TU Berlin, the FU Berlin, the HU Berlin, the HTW and the Brandenburg University of Applied Sciences.
Fraunhofer High Performance Berlin Center for Digital Transformation
- Bundling the competencies of the four Fraunhofer institutes FOKUS, HHI, IKK, and IZM in the fields of information and communication technologies (ICT), data processing, production, and microelectronics
- The high performance center supports companies in implementing the potential of digitization
- Research projects with industrial partners and public institutions
- Direct transfer of research results into practice
- Questions about Industry 4.0, Internet of Things, quality and security of data sources, modeling of data etc.