The Fraunhofer Society is the largest organization for applied research in Europe. Its research fields include health, safety, communication, mobility, energy, and the environment.
Roughly 28,000 employees work in 74 research institutions in Germany. The Fraunhofer Institutes generate around 70 % of their research volume through contract research, with partners including industrial companies, service providers, and the public sector. International cooperation is guaranteed through worldwide offices.
Berlin is home to four institutes, the Fraunhofer Center for Digital Transformation, two Fraunhofer networks, and the Fraunhofer Forum Berlin.
Fraunhofer-Institute for Production Systems and Design
(Fraunhofer-Institut für Produktionsanlagen und Konstruktionstechnik Berlin - IPK)
Part of the Production Technology Center Berlin (Produktionstechnisches Zentrum Berlin)
- Application-oriented system solutions for industrial tasks such as product development, production processes, or recycling of products
- Business fields of the institute:
- Corporate management, virtual product development, production systems, joining and coating technology, automation technology, as well as quality management and the exploratory field of traffic engineering.
- Business partners:
Close cooperation with the Institut für Werkzeugmaschinen und Fabrikbetrieb (IWF) of the TU Berlin and the Federal Institute for Materials Research and Testing (BAM)
Fraunhofer Institute for Assembly and Packaging Technologies for Microelectronics and Power Electronics
(Fraunhofer Institut für Zuverlässigkeit und Mikrointegration - IZM)
- Services, especially for small and medium-sized enterprises
- Over 450 employees
- Close cooperation with the Technische Universität Berlin
Fraunhofer Institute for Telecommunications
(Fraunhofer-Institut für Nachrichtentechnik)
- Research into mobile and optical communication networks and systems, fiber optic sensor systems, image data processing, and the coding of video signals
- Development of new applications for industrial partners
Institut für Offene Kommunikationssysteme (FOKUS)
- Goal: To make the connected world safer, more reliable, and more trustworthy
- Development, testing, and introduction of open-system solutions for digital networking
- Research topics: OpenData, smart mobility, digital citizen services, and networked security
- Fraunhofer FOKUS is involved with a total of 8 chairs in research and teaching at TU Berlin, FU Berlin, HU Berlin, and HTW in Berlin
Fraunhofer High Performance Berlin Center for Digital Transformation
- Bundling the competencies of the four Fraunhofer institutes FOKUS, HHI, IKK, and IZM in the fields of information and communication technologies (ICT), data processing, production, and microelectronics
- The high performance center supports companies in implementing the potential of digitization
- Research projects with industrial partners and public institutions
- Direct transfer of research results into practice
- Questions about Industry 4.0, Internet of Things, quality and security of data sources, modeling of data etc.