Other sectors also profit from this growing market; key technologies are perfected in Berlin in med-tech and metrology, in communications technologies and also energy technology.
„I think that, with a dense, yet broad research landscape and about 400 SMEs working in these fields, Berlin and Brandenburg will be very well positioned, indeed. The future world market leader for one of these topics could easily come from the capital region. I think that Berlin-Brandenburg is already second or third in optics and photonics, behind Silicon Valley and the Tokyo region. Our international visibility is already quite good, thanks also to the support of Berlin Partner and joint stands at trade shows. These stands have quite a reputation at the fairs and are popular with visitors. They help to achieve a visibility and attractiveness that we couldn't achieve on our own.“
Foto: © Die Hoffotografen GmbH Berlin
- The high concentration of influential players in the sector of photonics creates optimal conditions for the transfer of knowledge
- A great diversity of universities and research institutions for optics and photonics in Germany with close ties to local industry
- An array of sector networks ease access to knowledge or capital.
- R&D synergy: OpTecBB partners have defined projects for developing products for the global market.
- Joint initiatives for workplace-related training and academic training
- Strong market for growth
- Berlin-Adlershof: Germany’s largest science and technology park and one of the country’s most successful high technology locations
(Source of data in illustration: Berlin Partner, Annual report 2020)