Other sectors also profit from this growing market; key technologies are perfected in Berlin in med-tech and metrology, in communications technologies and also energy technology.
„The reason Berlin is such an attractive location for optical technologies is that there is an extraordinarily varied optics research landscape here. That facilitates the development of alliances and networks. [...] Foreign guests of our institute also always stress how much they appreciate Berlin's cultural richness. That is why so many of them return to Berlin to spend more time here.“
An overview of the more important figures
- 400 companies in key technologies of optics, photonics and microsystems technologies
- 36 institutions of higher education and research institutes
- Employment: approximately 14,400 in companies, 2,200 in institutions of higher education and research institutes
- R&D rate in total turnover: 17%
- Export rate in total turnover: 68%
(Source: Berlin Partner for Business and Technology, 2016)
- The high concentration of influential players in the sector of photonics creates optimal conditions for the transfer of knowledge
- A great diversity of universities and research institutions for optics and photonics in Germany with close ties to local industry
- An array of sector networks ease access to knowledge or capital.
- R&D synergy: OpTecBB partners have defined projects for developing products for the global market.
- Joint initiatives for workplace-related training and academic training
- Strong market for growth
- Berlin-Adlershof: Germany’s largest science and technology park and one of the country’s most successful high technology locations