Other sectors also profit from this growing market; key technologies are perfected in Berlin in med-tech and metrology, in communications technologies and also energy technology.
An overview of the more important figures
- 400 companies in key technologies of optics, photonics and microsystems technologies
- 36 institutions of higher education and research institutes
- Employment: approximately 14,400 in companies, 2,200 in institutions of higher education and research institutes
- R&D rate in total turnover: 17%
- Export rate in total turnover: 68%
(Source: Berlin Partner for Business and Technology, 2016)
- The high concentration of influential players in the sector of photonics creates optimal conditions for the transfer of knowledge
- A great diversity of universities and research institutions for optics and photonics in Germany with close ties to local industry
- An array of sector networks ease access to knowledge or capital.
- R&D synergy: OpTecBB partners have defined projects for developing products for the global market.
- Joint initiatives for workplace-related training and academic training
- Strong market for growth
- Berlin-Adlershof: Germany’s largest science and technology park and one of the country’s most successful high technology locations