As Europe’s most attractive area for life science & healthcare, and an important hub of the IT industry with a growing number of IT companies, Berlin is the ideal playing field for digital health innovations. The comprehensive portfolio of companies, research institutes, clinics, care providers, network and government agencies, provides the ideal condition for the development, evaluation and market entry of digital solutions for health & care.
Digital therapeutics, bioinformatics, artificial intelligence for motion recognition and image analysis, or surgical navigation – a multitude or research institutes work on progressing towards a truly personalised and innovative medicine in Berlin.
- Charité – Universitätsmedizin Berlin
- TU Berlin
- Berlin Institute for the Foundations of Learning and Data (BIFOLD)
- Max Delbrück Center for Molecular Medicine
- Several Fraunhofer Institutes such as FOKUS, HHI and IZM
- HTW University of Applied Science
- Zuse Institute Berlin
- Berlin Institute of Health (BIH)
- Einstein Center Digital Future
- German Research Center for Artificial Intelligence (DFKI)
- Hasso-Plattner-Institut (HPI)
- Center for Artificial Intelligence - Public Health Research (ZKI-PH) (in German)
„Berlin is a great place for startup founders in digital health since it is the epicenter of Germany’s political, media and science scene. This makes it easy to get in touch with decision-makers and build networks in order to grow one’s business. Another advantage in order to build a great team is that Berlin is the place to be for talents from all over the world.“
With their innovative spirit and digital expertise, startups deliver fresh solutions for digital transformation in the healthcare industry. The German capital region is home to over one hundred digital health startups, and the numbers are growing each year. They develop mobile apps and wearables to empower patients suffering from chronic diseases and to assist in their self-management. State-of-the-art technologies like machine learning, artificial intelligence, and big data accelerate new applications.
The following startups are based in Berlin:
The regional startup ecosystem is highly self-organized and offers young pioneers a broad range of events such as meet-ups, bar camps, seed camps and hackathons. Furthermore, increasing numbers of global players and companies based in Berlin are seeking to forge contacts with startups to invent new digital products and methods for the healthcare market. Being the German capital, Berlin also hosts a number of business associations in the field of Health IT.
In the more than 85 accelerators and incubators, 11 of them in the digital-health field, innovators and investors from all over the world come together to pave the way for the future of health and care.
- Bayer G4A
- Berlin Healthcare Hub by Pfizer
- Bundesverband Gesundheits-IT – bvitg e. V.
- Die Brückenköpfe
- Digital Health Factory
- Flying Health
- Future Health Accelerator
- SIBB – ICT & Digital Business Association Berlin
- Spitzenverband Digitale Gesundheitsversorgung e.V.
- Telekom hub:raum
- Vision Health Pioneers