Berlin is Germany’s fashion capital with roughly 2,500 companies and 24,000 people employed! Encouraged by the proximity to the creative industries and important related markets, the number of fashion businesses has grown more than 30% since 2000. Numerous shopping miles and flagship stores for international brands draw fashion fans and tourists from around the world.
Facts and trends
- Around 800 designers offer a spectrum of high price couture from Green Fashion to Streetwear, from individual pieces to full collections.
- Twice a year, Berlin Fashion Week turns the capital into an international stage for fashion and lifestyle and a platform for a wide range of brands.
- Modern order centers and showrooms offer out of the ordinary show space for wholesale.
- Fashion tech and wearables also get their due in Berlin: More than 50 companies and young digital startups are reviving the business and breaking down industry boundaries. (Check out ElektroCouture, Newsenselab, Trafopop, Kobakant, Moon Berlin, Colorfy, VOJD Studios), among others.)
- Berlin has the most training locations for fashion in Europe. Each year roughly 300 graduates complete their training at Berlin’s ten fashion schools.
- Berlin stands for talent: Many prizes for young talented designers are awarded here.
- Together with Atomleap, the Berlin Senate Department is organizing the Smart Wearables x Textiles Accelerator to pave the way for innovative products and business models.
- A broad research network offers numerous possibilities for further development:
Haute Innovation, Wear it hub - BMBF (PDF), IVAM, design Research lab (UdK)
(Source: Information from the Senate Department for Economics, Energy and Public Enterprises, 2017)
Partner and suppliers
Buyers and labels find a wide range of partners and suppliers in Berlin:
- Fashion Gallery Berlin
- Labels Berlin
- Designszene Berlin IDZ
- Modemarken "wer zu wem"
- EUROPAGES Textilien und Bekleidung
- future fashion forward