Science, startups, innovative SMEs and globally operating companies have made Berlin into their testing grounds and are pioneers of the fourth industrial revolution.
Industrie 4.0 – the complete networking of industrial manufacturing through the use of IP-based networks – increases the efficiency and flexibility of companies and is therefore the most sought-after topic in the industry of the future. The capital region Berlin-Brandenburg has an excellent research landscape and a vibrant high-tech startup scene which offers companies located here a great opportunity! The region stands for energy, networking and creative renewal. Innovative business models have been developed and tested through the unique interaction between various players.
Facts and figures at a glance
- 730 industrial enterprises with 105,217 employees
- 24.1 billion euros in sales (at businesses with 20 employees or more), some 13 billion euros of that from abroad
- The most important export country for Berlin industry is the United States
- With a gross added value of 9.6 billion euros, Berlin industries contributed around 9% of Berlin's overall economic output.
- Approximately 4,724 ha constructible areas for industrial/commercial use in a prime location; compared to Hamburg, Bremen and Munich, Berlin ranks first in the availability of constructible commercial areas
(Source: Berlin Senate for Economics, Technology and Research, 2015 - data from 2014)
Berlin is a city of science and research whereyou can find the right partner for every typeof R&D project. This is ideal for those who areventuring into complex projects in the contextof Industrie 4.0. The four closely cooperating Fraunhofer Institutes, among others, centralizethis expertise. Together with the four universities and numerous colleges and research institutions they cover a broad spectrum of topics.
Private and public initiatives connect established businesses, the startup scene and science in Berlin on all topics revolving around Industrie 4.0:
- The digital networking performance center from the four Berlin Fraunhofer Institutes creates an ecosystem for rapidly transferring research results into innovative products.
- Berlin Partner coordinates the expertise network for Industrie 4.0, which informs companies about the opportunities and requirements while also supporting the development and implementation of individual solutions.
- The SIBB Forum for Industrie 4.0 and the Digital Economy Lab 4.0 from UVB provide forums for exchange spanning various business sectors on the topic of business applications.
- The Berlin CityLab, initiated by Berlin’s Senate Chancellery, develops application-oriented solutions on the topics of digitization and Smart City.
Use our interactive industry map to learn more about selected locations and available infrastructure - in 2D and in 3D.