Berlin is not only Germany's leading host for trade fairs and conventions, but is also one of the most sought-after locations in the world for such events.
In the current ranking of the International Congress & Convention Association (ICCA), the German capital ranks fourth. The city’s excellent location conditions are important factors for Berlin’s growing appeal as an event center and for the expansion of the international market:
- Europe’s most modern assortment of hotels and an overall capacity of more than 139,000 beds
- A large selection of exceptional locations for events
- Berlin Convention Office visitBerlin - Berlin Tourismus & Kongress GmbH offers a comprehensive range of services for trade fairs and conventions in Berlin
- Professional services available from the Messe Berlin GmbH group, one of the ten highest grossing trade show companies in the world (with their own sites).
- Home to leading international trade fairs in industries of the future (such as the IFA trade fair for consumer electronics: Consumer Electronics Unlimited, world health summit) and major events with high media and public relations impact (the ITB Berlin Travel Trade Show (Internationale Tourismusbörse), Air show berlin-International Aerospace Exhibition and Conferences)
- Berlin is the seat of the German Trade Fair Industry Association (Ausstellungs- und Messe-Ausschuss der Deutschen Wirtschaft - AUMA)
- Berlin ExpoCenter City: 160,000 m² trade show space, 100,000 m² of free-standing space at the Berlin Funkturm
- Berlin ExpoCenter Airport: 20,000 m² hall capacity, 130,000 m² of free-standing space at the future BER airport
- Modern multi-functional trade show and conference center CityCube Berlin with a capacity of up to 11,000 participants
Facts and figures
- 355 providers for event locations offer total venue space of roughly 502,000 m²
- 196 hotels (55% of the providers) offer roughly 140,000 m² of event facilities and therefore 28% of the total floor space
- There were roughly 137,500 events in Berlin in 2016 (1.8% more than 2015) with roughly 11.6 million participants (1.8% more than 2015)
- 20% of the events had an international scope; the number of foreign participants was about 2.4 million
- The revenue volume totaled more than 2.4 billion EUR
- Roughly 7.7 million overnight stays through conference and convention participants (25% of all overnight stays)
- About 41,500 jobs are secured through convention traffic
(Sources: Berlin Tourismus & Kongress GmbH, 2017; Investitionsbank Berlin, 2016)
||IFA Consumer Electronics Unlimited Trade Fair (Internationale Funkausstellung)
As a global trade show for consumer electronics and home appliances, the IFA presents the latest products and innovations, and every year it fascinates trade visitors from more than 100 countries.
|ITB Berlin Travel Trade Show (Internationale Tourismusbörse)
The ITB is the leading specialist trade show for the international tourism trade and each year it features countries, target areas, operators, booking systems, transport carriers and hotels.
||International Green Week (Internationale Grüne Woche)
Unique in its focus, the International Green Week an international exhibition for agriculture and the food industry, as well as for gardening.
||Bautec International Trade Fair for Building and Construction Technology (Internationale Fachmesse für Bauen und Gebäudetechnik)
bautec is the international trade fair for construction and building technology, and leading exhibitors from the construction materials and construction systems sectors take part.
||ILA Berlin Airshow (Internationale Luft- und Raumfahrtausstellung Berlin-Brandenburg)
The Berlin Air Show is one of the most important trade fairs for the aerospace industry in Germany and is among the largest and most important aerospace trade fairs in the world.
|Fruit Logistica Berlin
FRUIT LOSISTICA is the leading industry meeting for the international fruit trade.
||InnoTrans - International Trade Fair for Transport Technology
As a trade fair for transportation technology, InnoTrans offers an industry platform for national and international providers and consumers of passenger and freight transportation.
Berlin ExpoCenter City - CityCube Berlin
- Operator: Messe Berlin GmbH
- Multifunctional convention and trade show center at the traditional location under the Berliner Funkturm
- 160,000 m² of trade show space (26 exhibition halls) as well as 100,000 m² of free-standing space
- Modern trade show and conference center CityCube Berlin has two tiers with 6,000 m² of space each: the lower tier has space for up to 8 conference rooms for 400 – 3000 PAX and/or trade show space, the column-free hall of the upper tier can be used for large assembly halls, trade shows, concerts or caterings
- 29 offices, suites and meeting rooms
- Direct connection to the S-Bahn public transportation system; the CityCube Berlin is situated at the station “Messe Süd”
Berlin ExpoCenter Airport
- Operator: Messe Berlin GmbH
- Multifunctional event center in the west of the future major airport Berlin Brandenburg (BER)
- Hall capacity of 21,000 m², 50,000 m² of temporary hall space as well as 130,000 m² of free-standing space
Estrel Congress Center Berlin
- Privately operated Congress & Fair Center providing two convention halls
- More than 25,000 square meters for events for up to 12,000 visitors now
Seven convention centers and arenas (2 percent of all operators) offer 57,900 m² of event space (13 percent of the total available convention space)
Mercedes-Benz Arena (17,000 patrons)
CityCube Berlin (11,000 patrons)
Velodrom (8,400 patrons)
Max Schmeling Hall (7,586 patrons)
Arena Berlin Kulturarena (5,000 patrons)
CEC Congress & Event Center Tempelhof Airport GmbH (3,000 patrons)
bcc Berliner Congress Center (2,500 patrons)
196 Hotels (55% of the total) offer 140,000 m² of event space (28% of the total), including:
Estrel Hotel & Convention Center (maximum capacity 5,000 seats),
Maritim Hotel Berlin (3,100)
Hotel Inter Continental Berlin (1,500),
Maritim Pro Arte Hotel (1,000),
Grand Hyatt Berlin (850),
The Ritz Carlton Berlin (850),
Berlin Marriott Hotel (60),
Dorint Sofitel Schweizerhof Berlin (650),
Crowne Plaza Berlin City Centre (600),
Steigenberger Berlin (600),
Hotel Palace Berlin (580),
Hotel Pullman Berlin Schweizerhof (572).
135 additional event venues (45% of the total) offer 278,500 m² of event space (64% of the total):
Tempodrom (3,678 patrons),
Palais am Funkturm (2,400 patrons),
Friedrichstadtpalast (1,890 patrons),
Theater des Westens (1,614 patrons),
Fernsehstudio Berlin / Eventisland (Spandau) (1,600 patrons),
Messeforum im Ullsteinhaus (1,200 patrons).