The sectors of Berlin's creative industry are distinguished by a large number of small, recently started companies that excel because they are highly adaptable and innovative. They are supported by a unique system of funding for creative people.
Berlin became the first German city to be awarded the title "City of Design" by the UN cultural organization, UNESCO. This distinction has made Berlin part of the "Creative Cities" network alongside cities like Buenos Aires, Edinburgh, and Shanghai.
When it comes to design, Berlin is a dynamic, ambitious city
- International community and unique creative potential
- Germany’s strongest cluster of design/marketing with roughly 1.6 billion EUR annual revenue
- More than 6,000 design companies in Berlin, representing about 12% of the design studios in Germany, generate over 830,000 million euros in annual sales with 13,000 employees.
- More than 3,400 advertising and PR agents
- Excellent location for PR and communications agents because of the proximity to politics and associations
- Unique selection of vocational training for future creative industries and communications experts
- International events and festivals: Effie-Gala, Kommunikationskongress, HORIZONT Digital Marketing Days, ADC -Night of Honor, EVA Berlin Konferenz
Berlin's art market is characterized by a high concentration of visual artists, designers, photographers and galleries. Over 13 percent of Germany's artists have decided to benefit from the good education opportunities, the low studio rents and the creative atmosphere they find here. They are supported by a wide range of networks and platforms.
The performing arts segment includes stage artists, performers and dancers as well as theaters of all kinds. Berlin's image as an international metropolis of the arts is based on the about 5,000 performances taking place here annually.
Around 1.3 million patrons attend performances at both state-subsidized and commercial theaters in Berlin every year. Theaters, ballet companies, cabarets and variety theaters as well as other performing arts venues create working opportunities for independent stage artists that are unparalleled in Germany. The Art Directors Club and the Verband Berliner Amateurbühnen e.V. (VBA) are just two of the organizations that represent artists' interests.
Architecture and cultural heritage
At 170 museums and collections, Berlin has more museums than any other city in Germany. The city's museums and exhibition halls welcome about 10 million visitors annually. The publicly subsidized art and cultural assets, like the museums on the Museum Island designated a UNESCO World Heritage Site, are complemented by a large number of commercial museums and art exhibitions. Aedes East is an international forum for contemporary architecture and a platform for (intercultural) exchange.
(Source: Project Future - Senate Department for Economics, Energy and Public Enterprises)
Contacts for networkers
- College of Fine Artes (Universität der Künste Berlin)
- Technische Universität Berlin (TU)
- Kunsthochschule Berlin Weißensee
- Design Akademie Berlin
- BEST-Sabel Bildungszentrum
- University of Applied Sciences Europe (btk berliner technische kunsthochschule)
- Fachinstitut für Informatik und Grafikdesign
- HPI School of Design Thinking
- bai- Berlin Art Institute
Networks and platforms
Trade fairs and events
- BERLINER LISTE - fair for contemporary art
- POSITIONS BERLIN Art Fair
- art berlin contemporary
- Trade Fair for Applied Arts and Design at the Zeughaus (Zeughausmesse für Angewandte Kunst & Design)
- Berlin Art Week
- DMY International Design Festival
- Akademie der Künste (Academy of Arts)
- Berlinische Galerie - Museum of modern art
- C/O Berlin
- Haus am Waldsee
- Haus der Kulturen der Welt
- Neuer Berliner Kunstverein e. V.
- Neue Gesellschaft für Bildende Kunst NGBK
- Urban Nation
- Bauhaus Archiv
- Creative City Berlin