A number of companies in the capital region produce new content for mobile services, mobile marketing and mobile communities. Berlin is home to major players in the European mobile entertainment market: Jesta Digital, MTV Mobile and Vivendi Mobile Entertainment.
In 2009, the International Android Conference established itself as a major date in the mobile calendar. New trends and developments are presented at the International Media Convention of the medienwoche@IFA and at IT-Profits.
Technological innovation and first-rate research
Almost 100 regional companies develop software and hardware in the field of wireless technologies and over 200 institutions from business, science, administration and politics work for the secure use of wireless technologies in healthcare, administration, transport, trade, logistics and project and counterfeit protection.
Regional research institutions, such as the Fraunhofer Institutes and Telekom Innovation Laboratories, develop new technologies for mobile devices and the so-called second screen, i.e. interaction between smartphones and smart TV, among others. The Broadcast Mobile Convergence Forum (bmcoforum) lobbies governmental agencies on behalf of mobile broadcast companies and seeks to accelerate technological innovations such as the development of content for mobile TV.
Mobile TV, entertainment apps and fresh content
More and more traditional media companies are also entering the market and offering mobile entertainment content.
- MTV Mobile Business Development produces mobile content for the TV broadcasters VIVA, MTV, Nickelodeon and Comedy Central in Germany, Austria and Switzerland.
- The Bertelsmann subsidiary UFA Interactive is heavily involved in the development and production of new content for mobile applications.
- With its »Big in America« series, MME Moviement was the first company to create a mobile soap in Germany.
- MicroMovie concentrates on the development and implementation of mobile video formats.
- With the »dailyme« service, users can create their own TV channel for their smart phone out of current TV formats and video casts.
- Softgames is the first company to offer mobile game developers a unified interface to distribute their games.
Networks, initiatives and associations
media.net berlinbrandenburg e.V.
A network of companies in the information and communication technology and media sectors in Berlin and Brandenburg
Association of the software, information and communication industry in Berlin and Brandenburg
Berlin Technology Foundation (Technologiestiftung Berlin)
Promotes science and research in selected technology sectors, promotes concrete innovative projects, conducts strategic dialogue on technological issues in Berlin
Represents, sponsors, and promotes new concepts and solutions for telematics applications
Conference for developers and specialists from the telecommunication and IT sectors working on the Android open source operating system