Berlin is one of the leading locations of the information and communication industry in Germany, is Europe's center for digitalization start-ups, and the hot spot for the largest e-business companies in Germany.
„Oracle's locations in Berlin and Potsdam have access to an optimal infrastructure. We are in close contact with our customers and partners as well as policymakers and government agencies. We value the city's creativity, while our employees are happy with the family-friendly environment and low cost of living.“
At a glance
- The site of large international companies like Telekom, Cisco, Siemens, IBM, SAP, Oracle, Microsoft, eBay
- Largest pool of IT and telecommunication professionals in Germany
- Strong initiatives and networks: SIBB e. V., BITKoM, media:net berlinbrandenburg, Xinnovations
- It is also home to the IFA, the world's largest trade fair for consumer electronics and an important meeting place for the digital industry with major events such as re:publica, WeAreDevelopers, Tech Open Air
- Highly concentrated, state-of-the-art telecommunications infrastructure including several data processing centers
- Important test market for new ICT developments
- Access to more than 650 public wireless LAN connections
- Four universities and eleven institutes of higher education offer a variety of courses of study related to IT, media and communications
- Close cooperation between science and industry at over 70 research institutions
- The Startup metropolis of Europe, games industry, social media, IT and mobile
- Attractive funding opportunities and special support programs
(Sources: Berlin Partner Annual Report, SenWTF, IHK Berlin)
Berlin is home of firms with expertise in the following fields
- Artificial intelligence
- Virtual & Augmented Reality
- Security with IT / IT security
- 5G applications
- Usability & Design
- Internet of Things and Services: Cloud Computing, Cloud Capital
- Data Management: Geo-Data, Smart Data, Big Data, Fast Data
- Digital Transformation: Industry 4.0, Smart City
- Open IT: Open Data, Open Access, Open Standards
Many of these innovative fields are serviced across state borders by the ICT, Media, and Creative Industries Cluster.
Great potential for the future for Berlin’s ICT sector
The ICT industry has been Berlin's most important growth driver for many years. The digital industries also generate an above-average number of startups and provide for some very impressive employment figures. The flourishing startup scene that developed here in Berlin has long since become an object of intense international attention and enthusiasm.
New products and services are created through collaboration between industries and digital economies. Berlin is a major player in terms of technologies that are important for digital economies and industries alike, such as Artificial Intelligence, the Internet of Things and Additive Manufacturing. Almost 60% of Berlin-based industrial enterprises are implementing digitalisation projects. This proportion is particularly high in mechanical engineering at 73%.
(Source: IBB Investment Bank, Berlin economic activity – 2019)