Automotive facts and figures
About 90 percent of all European car manufacturers are located within one day's drive by truck from Berlin - making the city an ideal location for innovative automobile manufacturers and suppliers.
The German capital is the only city in Germany where the three leading German automakers – BMW, Daimler and Volkswagen – have all established locations. Important R&D activities and high-quality manufacturing exist side by side in Berlin, creating a unique concentration of know-how.
- The BMW plant in Berlin has repeatedly set records with sales of its motorcycles
- The Daimler AG facility in Marienfelde produces, among other products, engines for the “smart” car, the 12 cylinder engines for the Mercedes S-Class and the Maybach, as well as reconditioned engines. The company is expanding the site as its second engine-manufacturing facility in Germany;
- Carmeq, Volkswagen Group, develops and implements software for vehicles.
- Knorr-Bremse and Hasse & Wrede are expanding their facilities in Marzahn, where they are manufacturing truck brake parts, vibration dampers and other components.
Structure of the automotive industry
- About 3,500 commercial businesses including gas stations, maintenance services and repair shops;
- About 1,280 craftsman's operations;
- About 80 industrial operations in vehicle manufacturing;
- All the world's major automotive brands represented in Berlin;
- 8 % of the employees in the manufacturing industry are involved in motor vehicle manufacturing;
- About 8,400 employees in vehicle manufacturing in Berlin, 12 companies (8 with more than 50 employees).
(Source: Information Brief (Kurzinformation), Senate Administration for Economics, Technology and Research (Senatsverwaltung für Wirtschaft, Technologie, und Forschung), 2011, Factsheet Industry, 2012)
A new global hub for the automobile industry has emerged in Eastern Germany and the neighboring Central and Eastern European countries. It serves the burgeoning markets in Central and Eastern Europe.
Technology leaders like BMW, Daimler, Opel, Porsche and Volkswagen are expanding their production capacity in Berlin to over 2 million vehicles per year.
Many OEMs and Tier 1 suppliers are discovering Berlin as a location for innovation and are building their innovation hubs, tech centers, and think tanks here - including, among others Volkswagen, Hella Aglaia, and IAV.
Selected automotive industry companies in Berlin
A region where automotive history was made
- In 1897, the "Altmannsche Betrieb" (Altmann Factory) was established in Marienfelde;
- In 1902, it became a branch of Daimler Motorengesellschaft, Cannstatt (and looks back on a history as the longest-operating facility for automobile components and engines in the Daimler Group);
- In 1926, the Ford Engine Company began producing its Model T car in warehouse spaces at Berlin Westhafen.
Flagship stores of major automobile producers in Berlin
Mercedes-Benz maintains a strong presence at Salzufer with a 35,000 square-meter car dealership, brand center and event venue that hosts over 200 events per year.
Smart Center Berlin
DaimlerChrysler reinforced its presence in Berlin with this car showroom, which opened in 2004.
All kinds of exhibitions and events related to the BMW brand take place in this showroom, which opened in 2014.
With a café, a boutique and a lounge, the Peugeot showroom offers more than just information about cars.
VW's communication center is located on the "Unter den Linden" boulevard. The company uses the space to present itself, its brands and services to the public. In addition to introductions to the brands Bentley, Bugatti, Seat, Skoda, Volkswagen and Volkswagen Nutzfahrzeuge (utility vehicles), visitors to the Automobile Forum can expect to find exhibitions about cars and changing art and music events.
Audi opened its third largest showroom in the world on Kurfürstendamm in February 2014.
One of the largest Audi Centers in Germany was opened in Berlin-Adlershof in April 2012. The modern Audi terminal with its distinctive 31 meter high tower spans over an area of 22,000 square meters.