Supply of potable water and sewer service for 3.7 million people in Berlin and its environs is ensured by the Berliner Wasserbetriebe (BWB), one of the largest water and sewer companies in Germany.
- 9 water works;
- 6 plants for surface water treatment and groundwater recharge;
- 4 intermediate pumping stations;
- 2 booster pump stations;
- 7,816 km of pipe with approximately 275,000 household connections;
- Only groundwater is pumped and treated;
- Approximately 550,000 m³ of water are delivered daily on average.
- 9,725 km sewer network;
- 163 pumping stations;
- 6 wastewater treatment plants (equipped with the latest technology for the removal of phosphor and nitrogen).
(Source: Berlin Water Works (Berliner Wasserbetriebe), 2018)