Berlin's city sanitation services regularly demonstrate their capabilities during and after major events.
Berlin city sanitation services (Berliner Stadtreinigungsbetriebe - BSR)
- Over 5,400 employees;
- Comprehensive network of 15 recycling facilities and six permanent hazardous waste collection facilities;
- Four operations plants and five regional sanitation facilities;
- One waste-fuelled heat and power station;
- Special, BSR-owned recycling facilities;
- More than 828.000 tons of residual waste are removed each year and 1.24 million tons of municipal waste are recycled;
- More than 18 million household waste pickups annually;
- Around 3.6 million organic waste bins are emptied each year;
- Bulky trash pickup;
- 1,600 vehicle fleet;
- 1.4 million km of streets and sidewalks cleaned;
- Winter road service handles 12,500 km (7,800 miles), approx. 58,000 pedestrian crossings, approx. 18,600 crossings, and approx. 1,143 km (710 miles) of cycling paths.
Municipal waste and environmental consulting
Free information and research about waste reduction, recycling and environmentally friendly disposal;
+49 30 7592-4900
- Reduced costs through waste reduction and recycling of commercial waste;
- Separation of recyclables;
- Waste disposal in accordance with the law;
- Commercial waste management concepts;
- Industry specific information, such as waste information systems for motor vehicle trades.
(Sources: Berlin Sanitation Works (Berliner Stadtreinigungsbetriebe - BSR) Senate Administration for Economics, Technology and Research (Senatsverwaltung für Wirtschaft, Technologie und Forschung, 2018)