General information and locational advantages
Steglitz-Zehlendorf, with its over 300,000 inhabitants, is considered to be a district with the highest quality of housing and life. Nearly half of the area consists of forest and water. The education level is above average and purchasing power is the strongest in Berlin.
Thanks to a good Autobahn and S-Bahn connection, the city center or the Berlin area can be reached in just a few minutes. With its 2.1 km, the Steglitzer Schloßstraße is one of Berlin’s top shopping miles.
The district is characterized by a large number of scientific and research institutions and is a location for life sciences that has grown over the decades.
In addition, Steglitz-Zehlendorf has many tourist attractions: a traditional museum landscape, historical and contemporary architecture, and the Berlin-Potsdam cultural landscape as a unique ensemble of parks, gardens, and buildings, which is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
The district is divided into Wannsee, Dahlem, Nikolassee, Zehlendorf, Lankwitz, Lichterfelde, Steglitz, and Südende.
- Business-friendly and research-oriented company location Berlin Southwest
- Important life science location Berlin Southwest with 19 clinics, 29 institutes, and more than 40 manufacturing and developing companies in medical technology, pharmaceuticals, and biotechnology
- Close cooperation between universities, research institutes, and business
- Location of the Freie Universität Berlin, one of the eleven German universities of excellence and one of the top startup universities in Germany with numerous spin-offs and startups in the area
- Starting in 2020/21, planned FUBIC startup and technology center on 50,000 m² in the immediate vicinity of the Dahlem Campus
- Numerous family and traditional companies from industry and industry-related sectors such as electrical engineering and metal processing
- Regional company networks to promote small and medium-sized enterprises
- Very good connection of working and living
- “Green district” with a recreational area of 853 ha, including 745 ha of greenery and 2,448 ha of forest area (e.g. Grunewald, Berliner Forst Düppel) and 1,127 ha of water (e.g. Kleine Wannsee, Große Wannsee, Schlachtensee Krumme Lanke)
- Botanical Garden, famous for the 25 m tall “Large Tropical House” and with 43 ha total area and about 22,000 plant species, one of the most important gardens in the world
- Schloss Glienicke and the Klein Glienicke landscape park and the Pfaueninsel in the Havel, UNESCO World Heritage Sites
- Gutshaus Steglitz, one of the last building products of Prussian early neoclassicism
- Glienicker Bridge, known as the “Agent Bridge” from the Cold War era
- Strandbad Wannsee with more than 100 years of tradition
- historical commercial and industrial area Goerzallee/Zehlendorfer branch canal, with approx. 77 ha and 170 companies, the largest commercial area of the district
- Hohentwielsteig/Hegauer Weg Commercial Area
- Haynauer Straße Commercial Area
- Focus Mediport in Steglitz
Regionalmanagement Südwest, which has been in operation since 2012, is dedicated, among other things, to location marketing, the positioning of the location of the future Dahlem, and the establishment of the technology and startup center FUBIC.
Business development in Steglitz-Zehlendorf
The district’s economic development office uses the web to list current news and business-relevant dates in the district, give an overview of events and projects and serves as a comprehensive business and service center.
The service center includes information about consultations and funding availabilities, as well as assistance in founding a new small business or a start-up.
Your contact at the local authority in Steglitz-Zehlendorf
Head of Economic Development
+49 30 90299-5257
Fax: +49 30 90299-3385
Your contact at Berlin Partner for Business and Technology
Project Manager Steglitz-Zehlendorf
+49 30 46302-335