Berlin top choice for international conventions: In 2016 137,500 events with roughly 11.6 million participants were held here.
Berlin is Germany’s leading trade fair and convention site. The number of events rose 1.8% in 2016, compared with the previous year, and attracted 1.8% more participants. Approximately 20% of events had a large international proportion with 2.4 million foreign guests. This means that around every fifth attendee came from abroad.
The city’s excellent location conditions are important factors for Berlin’s growing appeal as an event center and for the expansion of the international market:
- Europe’s most modern assortment of hotels
- A large selection of exceptional locations for events
- Comprehensive service for conference organizers
- Home to leading international trade fairs in industries of the future (such as the IFA trade fair for consumer electronics: Consumer Electronics Unlimited, world health summit)
- Numerous major events with high media and public relations impact (the ITB Berlin Travel Trade Show (Internationale Tourismusbörse), Air show berlin-International Aerospace Exhibition and Conferences)
- Outstanding price-performance ratio
- Excellent infrastructure
- Berlin ExpoCenter City: 160,000 m² trade show space, 100,000 m² of free-standing space at the Berlin Funkturm
- Berlin ExpoCenter Airport: 20,000 m² hall capacity, 130,000 m² of free-standing space at the future BER airport
The economic effects are enormous for Berlin: Through seminar and conference events, the capital was able to book roughly 7.7 million overnight stays, about 25% of all hotel overnights in Berlin. With revenue reaching 2.4 billion euros, 41,500 full-time jobs are secured through seminar and conference traffic (+5% compared with the previous year). A study by Investment Bank Berlin (IBB) underlines the importance of trade fairs and congresses as important economic drivers: each euro earned through sales at the events generated 5.10 euros of additional purchasing power.
(Sources: Berlin Tourismus & Kongress GmbH, 2017; Investitionsbank Berlin, 2016)
Berlin's potential as a convention location
- Berlin's status as the capital and the seat of the federal government is an important source of potential demand for convention services.
- Berlin Convention Office visitBerlin - Berlin Tourismus & Kongress GmbH offers a comprehensive range of services for trade fairs and conventions in Berlin.
- Professional services available from the Messe Berlin GmbH group;
- Privately operated Estrel Congress & Fair Center Berlin; The Convention Hall II 10,000 additional square meters of meeting space are available for the future. The entire Estrel Congress & Fair Center now has 25,000 square meters for events for up to 12,000 visitors now;
- Modern multi-functional trade show and conference center CityCube Berlin with a capacity of up to 11,000 participants;
- Many other attractive options for hosting events;
- Berlin is the seat of the German Trade Fair Industry Association (Ausstellungs- und Messe-Ausschuss der Deutschen Wirtschaft - AUMA).