"Berlin has reinvented itself again and again and is increasingly taking on a central role in the global economy. The German capital is not only a center of the creative sector, the arts, politics and media. Its particular strengths also include business sectors like IT, life sciences and services. Furthermore, Berlin is committed to establishing itself as a leading production site for cutting edge products - for example in the fields of energy and medical technology.Wolfgang Wagner, Member of the Board of PwC
Berlin offers the following advantages
- Berlin offers a large local market with 3.4 million consumers.
- Services make up Berlin's largest economic sector with the highest proportion of start-ups and enterprises locating to the city.
- The gross value added in the services sector increased by 2.6 percent in 2010, a higher growth-rate than the national average.
- The communications, consulting and services sectors are experiencing vigorous growth.
- Berlin's information and technology sector is creating demand for new types of services.
- The number of guests and overnight stays in the tourism sector is also increasing.
- A large pool of qualified management talent and trained specialists is available to employers.
- Numerous research institutions promote an innovative climate.
- 40 percent of the population is younger than 35 years of age.
- Decision-making headquarters, administrative headquarters, European headquarters;
- Company representative offices, Berlin offices;
- Services for companies and institutions (B2B);
- Businesses in the trade fairs and event management sector;
- Advertising, public relations and marketing;
- Service centers (call centers, shared service centers, customer care centers, contact centers);
- Security and guard services;
- Institutions providing training and development to professionals;
Large services companies in Berlin
- Deutsche Bahn AG
- Vivantes Netzwerk für Gesundheit GmbH
- Siemens AG
- Berliner Verkehrsbetriebe (BVG)
- Charité-Universitätsmedizin Berlin
- Deutsche Telekom AG
- Deutsche Post DHL
- Daimler AG
- Landesbank Berlin Holding AG
- Gegenbauer Gruppe
- METRO Group
- Berliner Stadtreinigungsbetriebe (BSR)
- Vattenfall Europe
- Bayer HealthCare Pharmaceuticals
- Berlinwasser Holding AG
- EDEKA Gruppe
Modern locations for services companies: Technology centers and business incubators
- Service businesses profit from partnerships and synergy effects.
- Focus areas of the Berlin region: technology-oriented industries that will define the future.
- Service providers are a valuable complement to the businesses and scientific institutions based in technology centers and business incubators.