Berlin offers the most tightly woven network of university and non-university research institutions in all of Germany - an excellent basis for interdisciplinary work and cooperation with industry.
»Berlin is a city of science at the heart of Europe – a city whose history of scientific excellence stems from its many important research institutions and its long track record of scientific breakthroughs. The tightly woven network between the scientific and business communities is one of the outstanding features of our city. The many young people here make Berlin one of the liveliest academic metropolises. A broad range of cultural attractions puts an ideal final touch on the city’s appeal.«Professor Dr. Günter Stock, President of the Berlin-Brandenburg Academy of Sciences and Humanities
Berlin is one of the largest and most diverse science regions in Europe:
- 4 Universities, Charité Medical University
- 4 Colleges or institutes of art,
- 7 Universities of applied sciences,
- more than 30 private universities,
- 22 Technology parks and business incubators,
- more than 70 non-university research institutions, among them
- the 4 institutes of the Fraunhofer-Gesellschaft
- the 5 institutes and archives of the Max Planck Gesellschaft
- the 12 institutes of the Leibniz Gemeinschaft
- the 3 research centers of the Helmholtz Gemeinschaft
- more than 180,000 registered students, about 50% are women (WS 2016/2017).
Roughly 200,000 people from around the world teach, research, work and study here. Approximately 19 percent of all students come from abroad, most of them from China, Russia and the USA. Many cooperative programs link Berlin’s institutes of higher education with partner institutes around the world.
Scientific know-how and qualified professionals are important to securing the private sector's innovative capacity and competitiveness as well as Berlin's attractiveness as a center of business.
Berlin has numerous modern Technology Centers and so called Zukunftsorte - Sites of the future - with tremendous development potential. Their science-oriented infrastructure makes them attractive locations for young, technology-oriented companies.
Berlin's scientific landscape
Click on the icons in our interactive map to obtain further information on Berlin's Scientific Landscape, sites and infrastructural services - in 2D and 3D.