Berlin´s labour market benefits from beeing able to draw from an attractive and innovative area with approximately six million residents.
»Recently, we had two weeks time under a fixed term contract to recruit fifty employees who had either completed professional training or had long-standing experience in the insurance industry, and we were able to do the job. For us as an employer, the Berlin labor market is very favorable, since even qualified insurance brokers are ready to be deployed.«Frank Buchholz, Managing Director of Gothaer SchadenService Center GmbH
The capital region attracts highly motivated people with excellent qualifications on the job market, which are ready to work immediately.
Berlin ist Germany's biggest labour market:
- More than three-fourths of the people employed in Berlin have obtained solid professional training.
- Of these, more than 500,000 have obtained a degree from a university or a college of applied sciences.
- Over 1.25 million of the employees in Berlin have received training in a craft requiring apprenticeship or other vocational training.
- Berlin has the highest ratio of researchers and academics (per capita) in Germany.
Two million Berlin residents speak at least two languages.
1.51 million people between ages 18 to 65 speak one or two foreign languages. More than half a million Berlin residents speak two or more foreign languages.
In Berlin there are at least 39,000 Turkish, 43,000 Russian and 34,000 Polish native speakers aged between 18 and 65. Additionally there are 13,000 native speakers of Spanish and Arabic, 12,000 of English and 11,000 native speakers of French. Languages like Vietnamese, Dutch, Serbian or Czech are also relevantly represented.
86 percent of Germans have English-language skills. Every third person surveyed can speak at least some French, 23 percent Russian and 14 percent Spanish.
(Source: Fremdsprachenstudie Forsa, 2013)
Dual system of vocational education and training
The German system of providing vocational education and professional training in parallel is acknowledged all over the world as the best way of combining theoretical instruction with practical experience.
- The apprenticeship in a company is accompanied by theoretical training at a state vocational school.
- In general, this training will take two to three years. After passing a final practical and theoretical examination, candidates are qualified as a state-certified skilled worker (staatlich anerkannter Facharbeiter) (in their certificate or apprenticeship diploma).