General information and locational advantages
On 1 January 2001, the three districts of Mitte, Tiergarten and Wedding were merged to form the new district of Mitte. This new Mitte is at one and the same time a metropolitan district and traditional quarter, cosmopolitan city and residential area. Its six quarters contain the German parliament, the Federal Government, embassies and banks, as well as many residential areas, friendly neighbourhood pubs and Berlin's "green lung", the Grosser Tiergarten.
- Many of its squares and streets are well known far beyond the borders of Berlin. They include:
- Pariser Platz and the Brandenburg Gate
- Potsdamer Platz
- Gendarmenmarkt, considered one of the most beautiful squares in Europe
- International flair along Unter den Linden and in Friedrichstrasse
- A lively cultural scene:
- Two out of Berlin's three opera houses
- Concert halls
- Many museums
- Museum Island, a UNESCO World Cultural Heritage site
- together with a variety of other museums
- The Rosenthaler Vorstadt, with its lively bars and arts scene on and around Oranienburger Strasse
- Many parks:
- The Grosse Tiergarten
- Rehberge and Humboldthain public parks
- Many smaller green areas and riverside locations along the Spree, Panke, canals and lakes
- The zoo, an oasis in the heart of the western city centre
- Mitte: Berlin's most diverse district
- In the heart of the city
- Very good infrastructure
- Seat of national political institutions, commercial associations and renowned institutions
- A research and academic location
- Attractive, affordable and centrally-located quarters for jandicraft, high-tech, logistics, manufacturing and service companies
- Business start-up networks
- Cultural diversity and an interesting arts scene
- Leisure areas by water and in parkland
Commercial districts in Mitte
Located in the west of Mitte, bordering the district of Charlottenburg-Wilmersdorf. The 32-hectare site was for a long time used by processing industry firms. In addition to historical and some listed industrial buildings (by Peter Behrens and Alfred Grenander amongst others), there are industrial and commercial buildings originating from almost every decade of the 20th Century.
- IT and communication technology (GFAD and other firms, the Heinz-Hertz Institute, computing at the Technical University, Focus Teleport)
- Mobility (car showrooms, Meilenwerk, Temic, transport engineering)
- Manufacturing/mechanical engineering (PTZ, Siemens)
Bezirksamt Mitte von Berlin
Abt. Stadtentwicklung, Bauen, Wirtschaft und Ordnung
[Urban Planning Dept.]
Fachbereich Stadtplanung (Vorbereitende Bauleitplanung)
+49 30 9018-43632
Fax: +49 30 9018-45776
Berliner Innovations- und Gründerzentrum (BIG)
im Technologie- und Innovationspark Berlin (TIB)
[Berlin Innovation and Start-up Centre (BIG) at the Berlin Technology and Innovation Park (TIB)]
Wedding: A traditional location at the heart of Berlin.
The AEG machine factory was built here between 1887 and 1905. Following extensive modernisation, the Berlin Innovation and Start-Up Centre (BIG), the first centre of its kind in Germany, moved into these buildings in 1983. Two years later, Germany's first technology park, the Berlin Technology and Innovation park (TIB) was added.
- The more than 90 companies on the site are a mere stone's throw from the 14 research establishments of Berlin Technical University (TUB) and the Fraunhofer Gesellschaft (FHG) directly in the technology park, with Humboldt University and especially the Charité close-by.
- Total area: 92,000 square metres
- Premises available for entrepreneurs, young businesses with innovative projects, established and growing innovative companies working on short-term innovative projects.
- A wide range of support and cooperation services
- A comprehensive range of services on offer
- In cooperation with the GSG (a company providing commercial property to small and medium-sized businesses), approximately 52,000 square metres of multi-functional ready-to-use business space (offices and halls) is available for rent in modernized historical buildings.
- More than 200 companies have already been launched or undergone their first development phase at the BIG/TIB. The site currently hosts more than 90 companies in a wide variety of sectors.
Technologie- und Innovationspark Berlin (TIB)
Berliner Innovations- und Gründerzentrum (BIG)
+49 30 440123-123
Fax: +49 30 39093-199
Gründerinnenzentrum WeiberWirtschaft eG
[WeiberWirtschaft centre for female entrepreneurs]
The former East German state-run cosmetics manufacturing complex has been transformed into a modern centre for start-ups following thorough modernisation and renovation work. New standards have been set through the combined use of modern, environmentally-friendly procedures and technologies. The centre for female entrepreneurs was responsible for Berlin's first environmentally friendly renovation of a trading estate.
- Companies and projects run by women
- A total of 5,500 square metres office and commercial space
- On-site childcare facilities, canteen and conference area
- This variety promotes the development of cross-sector contact and business relationships.
- Bridge-building between commercial and non-commercial institutions
- An excellent potential for improving quality of work and life
Business development in Mitte
Local business promotion is conducted with regional demands in mind. Mitte's business promotion activities mediate between the local economy on the one hand and the local authority on the other, and endeavour to foster mutually agreeable solutions through proactive communication.
Areas of activity:
- Business start-up advice and management consultancy
- Specialist and political advice for business-related projects
- Joint developments and financial aid
- Represents the interests of the local economy in construction and development plans
- Supports investors interested in settling in the district
- Portfolio management and networking of local business activities
Your contact at the local authority in Mitte
Head of Business Development
+49 30 9018-34372
Fax: +49 30 9018-48834321
to internet portal
Your contact at Berlin Partner for Business and Technology
Project Manager Mitte
+49 30 9212-2828